"It's all enormous. It's all incredible. In the end we managed to win finals. We won this one after suffering a lot and now it's time to celebrate."

--Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso.
This fits. The only thing that I'd add is that suffering on a bike is cause for celebration.

The Plan

Hola mes amis. That's right, Spanish and French in the same sentence.

Once again this summer Selena and I are off on another adventure. This time we've got three weeks in France and Spain planned. Should be great!

The plan goes like this:
>fly into Barcelona on Saturday, July 18
>rent a car and travel to the Hautes-Pyrénées in France on July 19 where we will be camping by the roadside for 3 nights
>catch Stage 16 (July 20) of the Tour de France on the famous Col d'Aubisque
>enjoy the Tour's Rest day by cycling my guts out around the Haute-Pyrenees (July 21) and challenging some of the most famous cols (climbs) of the Tour de France
>catch Stage 17 (July 22) of the Tour on the famous Col du Tourmalet, which will be the stage finish
>Enjoy July 23 somewhere in France hopefully cycling around copious grapes and doing significant sampling ;)
>Spend a week (July 24-31) living in an apartment in Girona, Spain (Cataluña Province), the European home-base of a majority of the North American contingent of the pro peloton (that's pro bike riders for you non-roadies :)
>PS Our great friends Rod and Deanna Rawding will be joining us for the week in Girona. So what will the week look like, you ask? Let's just say that Rod and I will spend as much time riding the training routes of the pros as we can get away with; Selena and Deanna will run often and enjoy the beaches of the Costa Brava; and altogether we will enjoy the cafes and tapas bars daily
>On July 31 we will say adios to our pals and to Girona and once again rent a car and spend our last five days touring the Costa Brava
>fly home Thursday, August 5

As per usual, I'd like to share as much of the experience with all of you as possible via this little blog, so as with the past two summers, please check in on us as much as possible and do drop us a comment to let us know that you were by.

You never know what once-in-a-lifetime experiences the road may provide as I found out last year. Stay tuned!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Tour de France Pt 2

Hi again friends!

Well our time at the TdF is done...I was thinking that I'd feel relief that the rush rush, hectic-ness was over, but when the grupetto (collection mostly sprinters who ride together at the back just trying to make the day's time cut-off) went by us, I was a bit sad that it was over.

Tent city was good to us Wednesday night - man, did it rain, thunder, lightning, etc. The mountain was angry. We managed to stay mostly dry, despite our set-up which was on a bed of tall grass/weeds, next to a stone wall on a narrow bank--a small, tent-sized piece of real estate among the throngs of RVs...forgot to get a pic of the site, hence the description.

Up early and as planned after fueling up on coffee, I descended almost to Luz St. Sauveur (incidentally where I sit right now) and turned back up the mountain (the gendarmes told me not to go any further down or I may be told to stay put - now that would suck - bad!). So up I climbed, back to Bareges, where we had spent the night, collected my rain coat for the descent, and again set off climbing. I had super legs yesterday - felt so great; I think the mood of the whole scene was wearing off on me. I climbed and climbed in a total downpour (ps, I usually feel good in such conditions - not sure why). I managed to still be feeling great at the 4km to go banner when the gendarmes halted me and instructed me that the climb was closed off to 'velo' from there up and that I could walk (in the rain? what are you crazy? I'm not WALKING in the RAIN.). So, after sufficient begging and pleading and bull shit stories about having left my wife on the summit this morning, I snapped a couple of pics and pointed the wheels down. Fun time, but hypothermic to say the least. When I got back down to our camp site, I was frozen, but very happy if a little pissed. The Dutch family in the RV next to our car made us a couple of cups of coffee which I drank as I peeled off my drenched layers of spandex.

With the day's ride out of my system, we ventured into Bareges to catch the early part of the stage in the pub...fun scene there, then back up to watch the group come by about 200m above the 10k to go banner. Group, what group? Happily for spectators the day's route and the mood of the riders shattered the peloton, and the riders came by us one, two, or three at a time over a period of twenty-five minutes...there was only the grupetto and one other group of any size. Lance must have been tucked in one of them, because I didn't get a good look at him, but I did see (and speak to) virtually every other big-name rider. Cancellara gave me a pop-a-wheely. I congratulated Cadel Evans on a great season and Giro - he replied that he wasn't doing too well at the moment :) Andy Schleck (in the white jersey) and Alberto Contador (in yellow); Chris Horner again (he seems to love our camera), Lance (I think Selena got him after all), Levi (!) Leipheimer, Fecha, Basso (yes, Aaron, Basso), Wiggins (yes, Aaron, Wiggins), Vino (yes, Brad, Vino), Sastre, Mick Rogers, Jens Voigt (!), Cavendish, Hushvod, Pettachi...saw them all...very thrilling.

With the riders off to to summit, we listened on the radio to hear about the finish - Andy and Alberto caught the remnants of the break and thrilled the crowd with attack after attack and eventually Andy took the win with Contador right alongside. Chapeau Andy, here's hoping you have the TT of your life on Saturday.

Into the car and down to Luz St. Sauveur where we stayed in an actual campground on an actual tent site (amazing how the tent pecks go smoothly into the ground) and had actual showers (our first in 4 days). And that gets me to right now--we've packed up yet again, coffeed/croissanted up and are about to point the car back up and over the Tourmalet (and Aspin and Peyresourde Cols) en route once again to Espagne.

Rod and Dee show up tomorrow at about noon. Girona rides and beaches await us, so tune back in in couple of days to hear more adventures.

Seleno
PS, if you read, try to comment to let us know you're there :)

The gendarme instructed me - you shall not pass en velo.


Somewhere near the top of the Tourmalet

Dutch coffee and a happy guy

A happy couple awaits the peloton in the sun (which lasted about 10 mins) on the Tourmalet

Andy and Alberto go by

Horner (again), but on the right is Canadian Ryder Hesjedal on the ride of his life, finishing 4th on the stage and slotting into 8th on GC at 9:18

Lance

The Rainbow jersey (World Road Champion) of Cadel Evans

Fabian Cancellara!

13 comments:

  1. hey guys
    looks like a great day yesterday!!!
    Shane, I saw you on the live coverage man. I was 99% sure with the goofy foot running style that it was you, but the pics on the Blog confirm it. The khaki pants, blue jacket and yellow on the hat got at least 3-4 seconds of air time..... sweeeeet! Pics look great....have a great time in Spain with Rod and Deanna.
    later
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just printing off everything we need, dropping the kids off then heading into Halifax to have one last visit with my Dad before we leave and then......we are off!!!!! So excited. We think we have everything??!!
    Rod asks "How's your bag for wrinkles?"
    See you in approximately 36 hours, let's hope for a smooth trip!

    Dee & Rod

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a life! Thanks for posting the pics. Sure looks like you have had a couple of wet days. Having your first shower after 4 days must have felt like you were in heaven.
    It was pretty sketchy yesterday when the goats crossed the road in front of the riders. Could have wiped out the leaders:(
    Enjoy your time with Rod and Deanna. I know they are super excited. Hopefully you will have some dryer rides and lots of sun at the beach.
    We had a major thunder and lightning storm the night before last and it really cleared out the humidity. The temperatures home here are now in the low to mid twenties and the air is refreshing.
    Have fun! Looking forward to further posts and pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shane! I was watching and saw you! Sweet!! Cliff & Amanda were on Col des Ares on Stage 15 - tried to find coverage but the cameras don't always show the crowd. He said the caravan is like Christmas.

    Have a great time in Girona et. al. We're following along and can't wait to hear all the nitty gritty details on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the comments...one question though, Matt who? Is this Matt Rockwell or Matt Keith commenting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nevermind, I just clued in that the mention of the 'goofy foot running style' means it's Matt Keith. Thanks for keeping in touch bud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well thank goodness you fixed the comment section. I was almost the first person to comment on the blog, but despite my numerous attempts, couldn't do it. Sheesh. Anywho. . . so glad you two are having a blast. More photos of Selena please! Miss you guys. Hugs, Foxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work "Jens"! I've got Stage 16 downloaded, and I'm now working through the video to find you again! Price saw you the next day, but I missed!
    So thrilled for you -- EPIC bucket list stuff!Just think of the Backstreet Boys when you and Rod are climbing around Girona, heh heh! And how about Horner and Ryder.....wow...
    Wiggo! Basso! ;-)

    Brownie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just cruising by to check in and it looks like you have packed it all in!! :) Hope Rod and Dee made it alright and you are enjoying yourselves!
    Kris is in Madrid for a final concert and then home on Monday. he has enjoyed his time there immensely! :)
    Have fun!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok.....now I can admit that I couldn't post anything. Hee hee. For the record I did bath after the Stage 16 in a very very cold river!
    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff guys. You're inspiring me to get on the bike which I've done little of so far this summmer. It's been run, paint, run with some yoga in between. Give us a Spain post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just checking in - the pics are awesome! Happy touring with Dee and Rod!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I keep saying wow, I am so pleased for you both!! such fun, My Lia Sophia conference is over and learned lots and enjoyed it very much. Doing a garden tour in Calgary today. I will be checking in for More!!Love momeno

    ReplyDelete